Monday, September 10, 2012

a new start...

been away for a while, obviously. 
lots have been happening at the Comer house the last several months. but before I recap for all of you, let me explain what I mean by ... a new start. 
when I decided to start this blog in February, I thought it would be a good way to "catalog" my journey while starting my new business, but it felt more like pitching a new idea every week. and not even good ideas. so we-I am starting over. the goal: 3 posts a week. (probably all in one day, but what can you do) #1 will feature what has happened since the last post. #2 will focus on what is currently happening and what I have planned. And #3 will be personal- to remind me and all of you that I am a person not an advertisement. I have friends and family that want a break down of what we are doing, and not just work. 
what has been going on since April????
at the end of March, trav & i put an offer on our first house. after many many negotiations, appraisals, and fanny may repairs, we finally closed on our very own wonderfully ugly foreclosure!
since then... all I can say is "major rehab".


before renovations
 after demo
after appliances
 needless to say... we just got started. 
mid-august we finally got to move in. now we are still eating off paper plates, storing our clothes in garbage bags, and washing pots & pans in the "basement"- but we are loving every minute of it. our own home and its a beautiful thing!
we haven't had much time to work on the house since we moved in. trav spent 2 weeks straight fixing up our rental so we could hand that back over to the owners and the nights I wasnt working on it with him, I have been preparing for my very first "craft sale"!!!
last weekend I was part of The Strawberry Patch's Fall Barn Sale in Hartsville, Tn.
It WAS a BLAST!!!

definitely the best way to start in the craft fair circuit. I got to practice talking to customers, and promoting myself- not something I am good at doing. 







I also made some great friends.
Trish & Sara of Take Flight Crafties 
these girls gave me great advice and welcomed me with open arms!
they make the most incredible jewelry out of spoons and forks. the pieces are amazing and these girls are so passionate about creating something unique and one-of-a-kind pieces.
I hope we can work side by side again soon. 

craft fair: noun a fair at which objects made by craftsmen are offered for sale. 
call me a craftsman. 
i enjoyed the hell out of it.
working that show and talking to people- even the ones that had no interest in my booth; the husbands that just could not wait to get out of there, but loved their wives to much to sit at home in front of a game. 
i loved the smile on kids faces as they put my dolls in a death grip. and the humor on parents faces when they realized I sale zombies with bullet holes. 
saturday night as I sat across from my wonderful husband, at our favorite Chinese restaurant, I realized- maybe craft fairs are for me. 
to spend days creating something for others to love, laugh at, and even occasionally be disgusted was like a dream. 
its like a play. one in which I am the cast and crew.  
I guess we only can wait and see what the future holds. mine currently holds andother sale at the end of the week, a nephew weeks from entering the world, a opera to design and my 2nd wedding anniversery.
until next time, ladies and gents. 








1 comment:

  1. I absolutely LOVE how you presented your booth - it's so bright and welcoming - I'd definitely stop in to shop. Great job!

    ReplyDelete