Wednesday, July 17, 2013

a snarky explanation

This is to address a few of my readers who have sent me notes asking about how I pick projects and why am I making things that are also available on Pinterest. 

I was recently had a follower leave this comment on my instagram:
"it's funny that you call yourself a "crafter." Aren't you super well-versed with fashion design?"
As a matter of fact, yes I am technically a fashion designer and I do design when the inspiration hits me. I have a degree, I make my own patterns, but I do not have a desire to make/design what others feel is popular or mass produce anything.
Thus, my blog.

You can follow along, read my bluntness, and follow my tutorials- but be warned anything I show you, like everything can be found on Pinterest. I am not saying that my tutorials aren't, however I can tell you that if you want to learn how to make clothing from scratch (and not always with a pattern), learn the basics of sewing (hand & machine) and some valuable of the trade, THIS is the place to be.
You can deal with a little snarky commentary along the way right?!

WARNING!!! My tutorials are for serious sewers, not the ones who glue, staple, hem tape, or stitch witchery.  

There are thousands of blogs written by stay at home crafters and self taught stitchers for you to chose from on the internet (several are my friends). And I have read a lot of their blogs. Some are great, some not so much.
Pinterest has become a gateway to hardcore DIYers everywhere. And I can openly admit I am addicted. But I guarantee, 90% of the things you pin, you never open and read the blog or site it came from. There is nothing more frustrating than finding the perfect desert and later opening it to find the site is not longer available. Or worse they open but the tutorials are just BAD.
So yes I have gotten a few blog ideas from Pinterest, but I am giving you something better. With every style topic, how to, or custom project- I spend hours searching for a better way to explain it.   Some of my posts are obviously very in-depth and others can be accomplished in an afternoon or during nap time. Every post you read will be 100% mine, no references to someone else's way. 

Ok clearly having a grumpy morning so today's rant is over. maybe when I learn how to "fancy" up my blog I can put catergories at the top so yall can decide if you want to read them or not.
 lol or maybe not. 
now its time to catch you up on last weeks topic.

until next time,
later taters.

  

1 comment:

  1. You're super-talented and I'm excited to see more of your posts. Pinterest is a pretty good gateway to regular joes being crafty but I know you're a professional. I'm interested in both of those things. That being said, there are some fun things to make on Pinterest that are easy, crafty, what have you that are totally just fun.

    By the way, the snarkiness is an absolute bonus!

    ReplyDelete